The remains of a suicide bomber who attacked a church in eastern Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday have been exhumed after a court order that they be buried elsewhere
Police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara says the remains were removed from Kalliyankadu cemetery in the presence of a judge, a medical officer and police and were taken to a hospital mortuary.
They will remain there with police protection until the government provides a new burial site.
An official last week said the remains consisted only of a head, but Mr Gunasekara said they also included some other body parts.
Hundreds of people had protested against the burial of Mohamed Azar, who attacked Zion Church in Batticaloa town, killing 27 people and wounding more than 70 others.
Stay up to date with the latest news stories from a Christian perspective. Sign up to our daily newsletter and receive more stories like this straight to your inbox every morning.
A Monthly Gift Of £5 Makes A World Of Difference
In a world of fake news there’s never been a greater need for quality Christian journalism. Premier’s mission is to provide the Church with the most up to date and relevant news, told from a Christian perspective. But we can’t do it without you.
Unlike many websites we haven't put up a paywall — we want to keep our journalism free at the point of need and as open as we can. Premier’s news output takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. No one in the UK is sharing news like we are across radio, magazines and online so please help us to continue that today.
For a monthly gift of £5 or more we’d also be able to send you a free copy of the brand new Premier Bible, a wonderful Anglicised version of the NLT packed with exclusive bonus content, reading plan and resources to help you get the most out of scripture.
Your monthly support will make a world of difference. Thank you.
Set up a monthly gift