News by email Donate

Suggestions

Top Stories

Most Read

Popular Videos

woman-sad-main_article_image.jpg
UK News

Church of England resists call for national safeguarding body

The recommendation was made in a new report published by the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) on Tuesday, which followed four years of research involving C of E dioceses and dozens of abuse survivors.

In a statement the C of E told Premier: "The Church believes that retaining ownership and leadership of safeguarding in the diocese outweighs the benefits of making diocesan safeguarding advisers employed nationally.

"Dioceses must own and be responsible for safeguarding while acknowledging the importance of having a professional in the role.

"There are things in place to improve consistency - an escalation process to the national team if issues arise, professional support for diocesan safeguarding advisors etc."

Wikimedia Commons

The SCIE said staff appointed by the Church of England's 42 dioceses to oversee safeguarding (diocesan safeguarding advisors or DSAs) are currently answerable to their diocesan bishop.

The national body said appointing, managing and supervising the DSAs at a national level would "outweigh" the benefits of local ownership.

In its report, the SCIE said: "A national safeguarding service will be better able to resolve the current difficulties relating to supervision and management, with the potential to also...provide a greater level of independence in the safeguarding service and divorce it from any considerations of the welfare of alleged abusers who may be friends and colleagues of diocesan decision-makers."

The majority of abuse survivors who spoke to the SCIE said they had been unsatisfied with the response of the Church to their case. In response, the C of E said the results of the survivor survey made for "very difficult reading".

Creative Commons

The Church's National Safeguarding Steering Group said the Church will create a so-called Survivor Charter - setting out the level of care abuse survivors should expect.

The group also said funding has already been secured to launch - in partnership with the Catholic Church - a new telephone helpline for those affected by abuse.

Last month, a Church of England diocese has issued an "unreserved apology" to a man sexually assaulted by a priest during childhood.

The Diocese of Chester also accepted it failed to act on information concerning now-retired clergyman Charles Gordon Dickenson which surfaced ten years ago.

Stay up to date with the latest news stories from a Christian perspective. Sign up to our daily newsletter and receive more stories like this straight to your inbox every morning.

Continue the conversation on our Facebook page

A Monthly Gift Of £8 Makes A World Of Difference

In a world of fake news there’s never been a greater need for quality Christian journalism. Premier’s mission is to provide the Church with the most up to date and relevant news, told from a Christian perspective. But we can’t do it without you.

Unlike many websites we haven't put up a paywall — we want to keep our journalism free at the point of need and as open as we can. Premier’s news output takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. No one in the UK is sharing news like we are across radio, magazines and online so please help us to continue that today.

For a monthly gift of £8 or more we’d also be able to send you a free copy of the brand new Premier Bible, a wonderful Anglicised version of the NLT packed with exclusive bonus content, reading plan and resources to help you get the most out of scripture.

Your monthly support will make a world of difference. Thank you.

Set up a monthly gift

Related Articles

Sign up to our newsletter to stay informed with news from a Christian perspective.

Connect

Donate

Donate