A Christian bishop operating in China has been removed from his local area by authorities for a second time, before he was due to hold the funeral of a fellow-C
There had been plans for Bishop Peter Shao Zhumin to conduct a service for Bishop Anthony Xu Jiwei who passed away on Sunday, aged 81.
Earlier this month, Fr Peter Shao Zhumin was taken from Zheijiang Province, in eastern China, to north-eastern China with his secretary, Fr Paul Jiang Sunian.
It happened after the 90 year old Bishop of Wenzhou, Vincent Zhu Weifang, died following a battle with cancer; Fr Peter had aided the bishop in his duties.
UCA News has reported that the congregation has been told the bishop is on gardening leave.
His funeral Mass had been scheduled for September 29th and was meant to be presided over by Bishop Peter Shao Zhumin.
Bishop Peter was asked by the Vatican in Rome to look after the community in his diocese.
It is unknown if and when the bishop will return.
A Monthly Gift Of $11 Makes A World Of Difference
In a world of fake news there’s never been a greater need for quality Christian journalism. Premier’s mission is to provide the Church with the most up to date and relevant news, told from a Christian perspective. But we can’t do it without you.
Unlike many websites we haven't put up a paywall — we want to keep our journalism free at the point of need and as open as we can. Premier’s news output takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. No one in the USA is sharing news like we are across radio, magazines and online so please help us to continue that today.
For a monthly gift of $11 or more we’d also be able to send you a free copy of the brand new Premier Bible, a wonderful Anglicised version of the NLT packed with exclusive bonus content, reading plan and resources to help you get the most out of scripture.
Your monthly support will make a world of difference. Thank you.