News by email Donate

Suggestions

Top Stories

Most Read

Popular Videos

volcano-new-zealand-New-Zealand-Defence-Force-via-AP_article_image.jpg
New Zealand Defence Force via AP
World News

Prayers as divers continue search for body after New Zealand volcano

by Press Association

Six bodies were taken off the volcano in a four-hour recovery mission on Friday, with two further bodies still to be recovered.

"Today was all about returning them to their loved ones," New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told a media conference in Whakatane, the mainland coastal town where about 100 family and local community members prayed and sang together on Friday.

Deputy police commissioner Mike Clements said the retrieval plan was supported by the victims' relatives, many of whom boarded a tour boat to attend a prayer session 1km off the island before the recovery mission started.

One of the two bodies to be recovered has previously been seen in the water, but rescuers will not return to the island on Saturday.

Police said they would look at the next possible steps, adding: "Planning will allow us to return to the island to conduct further land-based searches for the remaining deceased, as the environment on and around the island allows."

A team of eight from the New Zealand Defence Force started a retrieval operation from the island from first light on Friday, despite ongoing warnings of further activity from the volcano.

The team, wearing protective suits and using breathing apparatus owing to the threat of toxic gases, recovered six bodies which were then transferred via helicopter to a navy ship, the HMNZS Wellington, and taken to Auckland.

Deputy Commissioner John Tims, National Operations Commander, said the identification process was "long and complex".

He added: "The victims and their families are our priority but we also have important obligations.

"We must work on behalf of the Coroner to ensure correct identification.

"It would be unforgivable to get the identification process wrong."

At least 16 people are thought to have died, while 15 people are being treated in burns units in New Zealand, of whom 11 are in a critical condition.

The condition of two British women, who were among those admitted to hospital, is not known.

Counties-Manukau Health chief medical officer Dr Peter Watson told Radio New Zealand: "A number of the people will be stable enough to transfer back to their countries of origin as their clinical situation improves, so we'll be able to do that not immediately but in the coming weeks.

"For some of them, that's a long journey back to the UK or Europe so they will have to get significantly better before they can be moved."

Stay up to date with the latest news stories from a Christian perspective. Sign up to our daily newsletter and receive more stories like this straight to your inbox every morning.

Continue the conversation on our Facebook page

A Monthly Gift Of £5 Makes A World Of Difference

In a world of fake news there’s never been a greater need for quality Christian journalism. Premier’s mission is to provide the Church with the most up to date and relevant news, told from a Christian perspective. But we can’t do it without you.

Unlike many websites we haven't put up a paywall — we want to keep our journalism free at the point of need and as open as we can. Premier’s news output takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. No one in the UK is sharing news like we are across radio, magazines and online so please help us to continue that today.

For a monthly gift of £5 or more we’d also be able to send you a free copy of the brand new Premier Bible, a wonderful Anglicised version of the NLT packed with exclusive bonus content, reading plan and resources to help you get the most out of scripture.

Your monthly support will make a world of difference. Thank you.

Set up a monthly gift

Related Articles

Sign up to our newsletter to stay informed with news from a Christian perspective.

Connect

Donate

Donate