News by email Donate

Suggestions

Top Stories

Most Read

Popular Videos

Nora-Quoirin-flowers-main_article_image header2.jpg
Nora-Quoirin-flowers-main_article_image.jpg
UK News

Church-going family welcomes inquest into teenager Nora Quoirin's death in Malaysia

by Press Association

The Catholic family of a London teenager found dead after she disappeared from a Malaysian nature resort last year have welcomed the news that an inquest is to be held in the country.

Nora Anne Quoirin’s disappearance from her family’s cottage at the Dusun eco-resort in southern Negeri Sembilan state on 4th August last year sparked a massive search operation.

Nora grew up going to St Bede's Roman Catholic church in Clapham Park, where she was baptised and made her communion, with her family members of the church too. 

The 15-year-old’s body was discovered on 13th August beside a small stream about 1.6 miles from the resort.

Her family said: “We have fought very hard to keep Nora’s case alive, after it was initially closed by the police in early 2020, and it has been our wish all along to have an inquest.

“This will be crucial in determining the fullest possible picture of what happened to Nora and how her case was dealt with.”

The family said they will appear via video-link to give evidence after the coroner’s court in the city of Seremban set the inquest to begin on 24th August.

In January, Nora’s family urged the Malaysia government to hold an inquest as they began suing the resort’s owner for alleged negligence over their daughter’s disappearance.

Police have said there was no sign the 15-year-old had been abducted or raped, with a preliminary post-mortem investigation showing that she succumbed to intestinal bleeding due to starvation and stress.

Sankara Nair, a lawyer for Nora’s parents Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, said in January that the family strongly believed Nora was abducted as she had mental and physical disabilities and could not have wandered off on her own.

The lawsuit said a cottage window was found ajar, with its latch broken, on the morning she disappeared.

Nora had poor motor skills and needed help to walk, and her mental age was about five or six years old, her parents said in the claim.

Charity Lucie Blackman Trust issued Friday’s statement on the family’s behalf and also welcomed the announcement.

Chief executive Matthew Searle said: “This is a big step forward for the family in establishing the facts over what happened to their daughter.

“We applaud this action and look forward to a comprehensive process that may lead to answers for the family.”

Continue the conversation on our Facebook page

A Monthly Gift Of £8 Makes A World Of Difference

In a world of fake news there’s never been a greater need for quality Christian journalism. Premier’s mission is to provide the Church with the most up to date and relevant news, told from a Christian perspective. But we can’t do it without you.

Unlike many websites we haven't put up a paywall — we want to keep our journalism free at the point of need and as open as we can. Premier’s news output takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. No one in the UK is sharing news like we are across radio, magazines and online so please help us to continue that today.

For a monthly gift of £8 or more we’d also be able to send you a free copy of the brand new Premier Bible, a wonderful Anglicised version of the NLT packed with exclusive bonus content, reading plan and resources to help you get the most out of scripture.

Your monthly support will make a world of difference. Thank you.

Set up a monthly gift

Related Articles

Sign up to our newsletter to stay informed with news from a Christian perspective.

Connect

Donate

Donate