News by email Donate

Suggestions

Top Stories

Most Read

Popular Videos

Westminster abbey remembrance sunday poppy PA Victoria Jones.jpg header2.jpg
PA Victoria Jones
PA Victoria Jones
UK News

Guidance published for Remembrance Sunday services ahead of second lockdown

by Press Association

Guidelines have been published on how local Remembrance Sunday activities can take place, ahead of tough new coronavirus restrictions for England.

Only limited communal singing is permitted, events should be held outside to reduce transmission and attendees must be socially distanced at all times, according to the Government guidance.

It sets out preparations for local authorities, with England due to go into a second national lockdown from Thursday.

Local authorities, faith leaders and members of the Royal British Legion are permitted to organise outdoor events to safely mark November 8 at a public war memorial or cenotaph.

But Remembrance events should be short and focussed on wreath-laying, while a march past or parade can take place if attendees are socially distanced.

Those legally permitted to attend events as participants include those attending as part of their work, such as local councillors and faith leaders, members of the armed forces and veterans.

While people are legally permitted to stop and watch as spectators, reasonable steps should be taken to “minimise wider public viewing”, according to the guidance.

Members of the public are only permitted to attend the event with their own household or support bubble, or individually with one other person from outside their household.

Guidance states that limited communal singing – involving the national anthem and one additional song – is permitted outside, providing additional mitigations are put in place.

These include songs being a few minutes or less, keeping two metres between attendees and regular cleaning of surrounding surfaces that are touched.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman confirmed on Monday that a national ceremony at the Cenotaph in London will take place.

The spokesman said: “We are certainly not cancelling Remembrance Sunday events but we must be mindful of the risks such events pose, especially to veterans who are often elderly.”

The national ceremony at the Cenotaph is usually attended by senior politicians and members of the royal family, along with around 10,000 veterans and members of the public.

This year’s event will be on a much smaller scale and ministers had already urged people to stay away from the Cenotaph and watch the service at home on TV.

Regional councils in England have also adjusted their plans for this year’s commemorations, with the majority encouraging people to observe the traditional two-minute silence from home.

Continue the conversation on our Facebook page

A Monthly Gift Of £8 Makes A World Of Difference

In a world of fake news there’s never been a greater need for quality Christian journalism. Premier’s mission is to provide the Church with the most up to date and relevant news, told from a Christian perspective. But we can’t do it without you.

Unlike many websites we haven't put up a paywall — we want to keep our journalism free at the point of need and as open as we can. Premier’s news output takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. No one in the UK is sharing news like we are across radio, magazines and online so please help us to continue that today.

For a monthly gift of £8 or more we’d also be able to send you a free copy of the brand new Premier Bible, a wonderful Anglicised version of the NLT packed with exclusive bonus content, reading plan and resources to help you get the most out of scripture.

Your monthly support will make a world of difference. Thank you.

Set up a monthly gift

Related Articles

Sign up to our newsletter to stay informed with news from a Christian perspective.

Connect

Donate

Donate